Friday, March 12, 2010

Glenda Bailey's Picks on Saks.com

I love to read Glenda Bailey's (Editor of Bazaar magazine) Spring Picks on Saks.com.....I really do. I love how with each category of 'pick', it follows with "Shop this trend".....very savvy way of getting us to buy. However, I think you have to give something to the buyer who cannot afford the Carolina Herrera dress for $2,000 or the Versace skirt for $1,295. I don't think you have to phrase it like the "Steal and Splurge" section of a magazine, but throw in a moderately priced accessory for goodness sake. When I quickly peruse the recommended items, and the only thing I find that I could possibly afford is the Diane Von Furstenberg safari shirt for $195...(and no matter how fabulous it is...I wouldn't, because when my shopping cart says "$200, there better be more than one item in it...") I think the retailer needs to re-think the offerings.

I realize when you are shopping on Saks.com, you expect to see the higher end...but still, for all of us fashion-forward, yet money-challenged buyers...we would still like to think we could buy something. It seems to me that the Saks team would realize this. I guess the thought process is that we can always shop the trend on their site...and then go to H&M to buy...but how does this help their sales? I'm not saying they have to lower their standards...just throw in a few things for "under $100".....I think they would be surprised at how many bites they would get....

Meanwhile, I'll head back to Bluefly.com or JCrew for the actual purchases....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter